The general aim of the festival is to promote documentary cinema in the context of intra- and intercultural communication and to give credit to new films, videos or interactive media dealing with anthropology, sociology and cultural studies in a wide sense of the term.
The festival provides an opportunity for international co-operation in this field with special emphasis on bridging East and West, for an exchange of such media and for seeking ways of their broader use. Organised as a Central European event, media from that area will be accepted with particular interest. The festival is meant to be a chance for authors, owners and distributors, but also for users to exchange their views at the screenings and following discussions, as well as at additional specialised events which may be an integral part of the festival.
One of these events will be a Student Competition with a prize awarded to the best student film.
- The submission of media from all parts of the world is encouraged.
- The festival is organised by GIEFF e.V. in collaboration with anthropological and other institutions as partners.
- The Festival Organisation Committee will be appointed by GIEFF e.V.
- The Selection Committee decides which submitted media are accepted for entering the festival programme. Members of the Selection Committee will be nominated by the Festival Organisation Committee. The Selection Committee will consist of eight visual anthropologists, media experts and documentary filmmakers from different European countries.
- Films in the Student Competition will be evaluated by an international jury (3 judges). The chairperson and members of the jury will be nominated by the Festival Organisation Committee.
- If sufficient funding becomes available the festival will provide accommodation and limited compensation of travel costs for filmmakers of selected media.
- For the screening of selected media no charge will be paid.
- The selected media will receive participation certificates.
- All media submitted will be available as preview cassettes etc. in a media library during the festival.
- The preview copies will remain with the organising institutions as part of their research collection (for internal screening purposes only).
- The German International Ethnographic Film Festival is a biennial event, taking place in May.
- For the festival all media are eligible which are films, videos or interactive media dealing with anthropology, sociology or cultural studies in a wide sense, have received their copyright after
1.1. 2015, and have not yet been submitted to GIEFF.
- Acceptable screening formats: high-quality-file, Blu-Ray, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, HDV, DV.
- Submission fee: 20,- Euro per film / medium, student competition: 10,- Euro per film / medium. There is no submission fee for entries (upto 3 films) from countries of the "Global South". See countries of Global North and Global South here.
- Entries are to be submitted not later than 15.12.2019 (postmark, online date).
- All media can be submitted by their producers, owners, distributors, directors, and other organisations and responsible bodies.
- All submissions must be accompanied by the following material:
- a preview-copy of the film as a high-quality file (uploaded on the Internet) or DVD-Video, multimedia on a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM;
- a transcript of the dialogues, subtitles and commentary in English, if the medium is not in English;
- submission form;
- English or German synopsis (150 words);
- payment of submission fee.
- In addition, three still photographs and any available press-clippings of interviews or reviews of the medium are kindly requested.
- Selected films will be screened as HDV, DV, or high-quality-file. Only media perfectly fit for projection will be accepted. Films and multimedia should be shown in an English version, or, as an exception, in German.
- GIEFF e.V. will take every reasonable care to protect the submitted films. In the event of loss or damage while at the festival, the GIEFF will assume responsibility only for the replacement value of the cassette. However, GIEFF will not be responsible for any loss or damage to films caused outside its office and the screening location.
- Inscription for the festival implies full acceptance of the above regulations.
- An international jury will award a Student Prize.
- Only films or videos that were completed when the maker was still enrolled as a student in an educational institution will be considered.
- The right is reserved to reject a film or a video which does not correspond the statutes or does not have the required form and content.
- The international jury is responsible for the selection of prize-winners.
- In assessing the films, the judges will give greater weight to the content than to the technical expertise with which the films are made.
- The GIEFF does not commit itself to award prizes, if in the opinion of the judges the quality of the films submitted is not sufficiently high.
- The judges may, at their discretion, divide prizes.
- The prizes will be awarded to the individual film-maker(s) responsible for the making of the winning film(s).
- The awarded student film will be screened during the main festival.
- For media submitted for selection, transport and insurance costs are to be paid entirely by the sender. This applies also to related expenses, in particular the fees of customs, transit agents for bringing the film in and out of the country, and the return shipping expenses of prints.
- If you want to send entries (preview-DVD and other materials) as well as selected films, please contact us: info[at]gieff.de
- Shipment and insurance of the selected films and videos will be paid by the participant. All costs of return shipment will be paid by the festival organisation.